Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Review: Time Machines Repaired While-U-Wait by R.A. Bedford

The folks over at Edge Science Fiction and Fantasy Publishing have certainly peaked my interest. How? Well, in amongst the material sent to BMU for review was a wee bit of a booklet. What I had come across was a "teaser" for a new book by author K.A. Bedford called Time Machines, Repaired While-U-Wait" that is due for release August 15 2008. It happens to have a theme that is one of my favorites. Time Machines or Time Travel and if you throw in some tech, well I am even more entertained! Something that Bedford seems to have given us in goodly measure. Of course I am basing this on just the first chapter, however this was ample for me to seriously want to check this out when it's released. Call While U Wait, time machines with a twist. Sometime in the near future, time machines have become common as well, the family auto. Different models abound, with the venerable Tempo being the model of choice because of it's economy, for the average consumer. The most common model is the 300 which we are told are turned out by the thousands and have yet to saturate the market. The protagonists are ill used hand to mouth repairmen who are called to repair a malfing Tempo 300, speculating that a cat may be to blame, which seems to be, mysteriously a very common cause. What our intrepid service persons find is something outside their comfort zone. A Tempo that seems all wrong on so many levels. Just setting in the machine gives one vast amounts of unease. At the end of chapter 1 the repairmen agree, against their better judgment, to remove the unit for repair. I know, I was left turning the page wanting more and that is a telling enough review in my book. Yep, looking forward to August. I will try to get a full review as soon as I can get a copy of the complete text, but so far so good!

Title Time Machines Repaired While-U-Wait
Author K.A. Bedford
Pages 320
Price 17.95
Format Trade Paperback
Publisher Edge Science Fiction and Fantasy Publishing

No comments: