Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Dutch "Moon Rock" discovered to be fake


I wasn't going to give this any airtime, mainly because it is such a major embarrassment, but then Shaun sent in the BBC article. I got to thinking, at what time or point did this EVER seem like the thing to do? Huh?

Here are the details, in case you missed them from the bbc article:
  • A treasured piece at the Dutch national museum - a supposed moon rock from the first manned lunar landing - is nothing more than petrified wood.
  • It was given to former Prime Minister Willem Drees during a goodwill tour by the ... Apollo-11 crew.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh.... but is it petrified wood "from Earth"?

Beam Me Up said...

you know there is a very good chance that..... OMG no I can't do it with a straight face....

Mebbles said...

Ah, I heard about this in your podcast XD I found this rather odd; I wonder why they tricked them with this fake?

Beam Me Up said...

First off Mebius, you can not imagine how much fun it is to hear from listeners! I know it sounds weird, but thank you so much! I am sure I speak for everyone involved.

Second there is a part of me that thinks that there was someone was saying...hell these hicks will never know the difference. What bothers me more is the fact that the Apollo crew HAD to know different, they were trained in geology for christ sake.