Wednesday, September 26, 2012

OH NO; THE MOON IS GONE. (OR, WTF AGAIN)

    Yeah, you read the title correctly. The title is totally correct. It is some of the people now days that are totally incorrect. You aren't going to believe this stuff.  Remember when I complained on a rant about WTF is wrong with kids and people today. Well, here we go again.
    On the 12th of September, there was an article on space.com.  The title was this.
   “The moon performs vanishing act this week, how it happens.”
    Now I assumed immediately that this was some kind of once every 50,000 year thing that is a natural but very rare occurrence, even though I had never heard of it.  So I think awesome, I get to learn something new that we found out.
        WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG AND DOUBLE WRONG.
    It was about the new moon, and why it happens. Now this is something I knew long before I went to school even. Which lets forget that, and remember that this was taught in first freaking grade even.  Now apparently there have been a lot of questions by younger people that don’t know why it disappears. Apparently there have been a lot of videos posted online recently where people are wondering where the moon went. That is why the original article was written actually. 
    Are you freaking kidding me or what? How can they not know. How can anyone not know.  Even the pagans, and the sorcerers (who have no religion), and of which I am from actually, all knew that ages ago, the same as most everyone else on the planet did. I can’t even begin to imagine how ancient that little sliver of knowledge is. I tried to find out if there was a definite time when it was accepted so, but I gave up after searching the net for the last couple hours. I’m going to go with George Moon discovered it, but before he could return and tell everyone, he was eaten by a saber tooth.  
    How can they not know this. You can actually watch it happen over days. It is simple logic. What happens is that the moon sun and Earth change relative positions. So basically this works like this.  Sun, moon Earth = new moon. Sun earth moon = full moon. It gets a bit more complicated than this, but for basic forum explanation this works. It provides a simple and easy explanation as to how things work. I forget the exact measure of time, but all parts of the moon get approximately 14.5 days of sunshine, and 14.5 days of night. It all deals with the movement and path of light from the sun based on the alignment of the three. Wish we had 2 moons and really confuse everyone.
    Who is teaching these kids. What are the teachers doing, and not to come down on teachers at all, (especially with what they have to deal with today with these kids), where the bloody hell are the parents at. This is simple common knowledge that we All had before we even went to school back in the day. (I can’t believe I just used the term “back in the day,” AGAIN. I must be getting as old as the Medusa Cascade.)
    And for the teachers, I wanted to be one of you once, but saw what had to be dealt with on the kids level, and the political nonsense of a school, so I figured with my temperament, no, not a good idea. But thanks for being teachers.
     You know, between this, and the people we have in office that either ignore or despise science, it’s absolutely amazing that we ever got to space. I’m starting to think that it’ll be a fecking miracle if we make it the next 20 years, without laws against technology and science. Not only do people not understand the basic concepts of their world and her orbiting neighbor, they don’t seem to really want to know anything. And complain about those of us that embrace knowledge. I have gotten so tired of these people, but that’s another rant up and coming very soon.
    Anyway, apparently the population is slowly evolving backwards. You know, it’s statistically proven, and also the words of the old masters, that the more people you have, the more crazy people you will have as well. I think they missed something there. The more people you have, the more ignorant the majority seems to become as well. Yeah, I’m on a rant here again.
 Anyway, here is the link to the original article. Good article, I'm just so shocked, amazed, ashamed, confused, pick  one of those as to why I didn't run with this immediately.


   Need to get me about 879.8657 gallons of silver mercury, a whole bunch of super magnets (1080), electrical wiring and copper wiring, and see if the fracking thing I thought up one day works, and if it does, get the smeg off this planet. Anyone else want to come along. It’ll probably be a very short trip, but at least it will be interesting. While it lasts. And before you answer yes, remember that I am the man that flew an experimental ultra-light into a tree after it caught fire. 
  I just don't get how anyone could not know this. It's scary what people don't know now that they should know. It's the 21st smegging century, and people are acting like it is better to return to the 1500's. I'm going outside and scream now. Before I really go on  rant here. Probably have the non science people in the area thinking I've been possessed by the devil. Those that don't think that already that is. I wish I could just move into a research facility somewhere. Life would be simpler. Not so many idiots to deal with on a daily basis. Just physicists trying to strangle each other over theories. I can deal with that.



12 comments:

kallamis said...

oops. Sorry about the super large type. Not sure what happened, but I posted it from my word to here, and apparently i hit the wrong button. I only typed the thing at 12. It shows up at something like 34.
Oh well, ooops.

kallamis said...

Never mind. Now it's fixed itself. What a day.

Dave Tackett said...

It is sad how ignorant so many people are. In this case I wonder if urbanization might be contributing to the problem. When all you can see of the night sky is a nearly featureless Moon and a handful of stars, it is likely far harder to to become interested in, and thereby informed of, astronomy. Not making excuses - just speculating.

As for education, not too many years ago I knew a tenured college professor who didn't believe in evolution, the Clovis migration, or astronomy because there is no such thing as reality and this professor like the stories of Native America Mythology better. This professor is a department head with some slight influence over the hiring in other departments. When you professors/teachers who literately don't believe in reality and who privilege self-esteem and ideology over facts and objectivity, what chance do their students have.

Not to worry about technology though, even the biggest idiots love their iPhones and on-demand television.

kallamis said...

Wow. Okay. So in other words he decided the path of the shaman was the only correct thing in the universe. Apparently he didn't pay a lot of attention to what he was taught.
Even in sorcery they have the same concepts of a multiverse as quantum physics basically. And everything is reality there, not nothing is reality. I get what he was trying to say, but he went way off course from the basics.
And not to mention he was a professor. Okay, I am guessing way too much Carlos for that man. And maybe a few too many mitotes. Or any other term you wish to use for the peyote, or grandfather peyote that you choose to use there.
I believe it was old Ben Franklin, or Hancock, one of them said something like this about our universities.
That we did not want to get professors from England to teach, because it would bring with it the doctrine of Christianity, and that did not belong in schools, and was a dangerous thing.
I'm pretty sure that it was Ben, but I may be wrong there. Anyway, whoever said it was completely right.
A few years back I knew a kid in school that was basically training under me. There was a student that came to their class new. It was geography, or something like that. Anyway, there was a map they were using that showed all the religions of the world and where they were basically prevalent at. She argued with the teacher that the map was wrong, because there were no other religions except christianity. That god had wiped the other religions from the planet because his will was all there was. Yeah, no kidding. I wish I was. What she did in the science class got her in more problems. She ended up leaving the school, because her parents tried to have the science classes removed from her curriculum because they didn't want their daughter learning the lies of the atheists and devil worshipers. No kidding.
And people wonder why i want away from here forever. Not this town, but this entire freaking planet I want away from.
They want a volunteer for long a term flight into deep space to study the effects of long travel and duration, they have one.

Beam Me Up said...

ummmm Kall, hate to piss on your rant but you DO know the new moon has NOTHING to do with Earth's shadow? A Luna eclipse does, but the new moon is simply the sun hitting the side of the Moon facing away from us. Actually there is NO way that Earth's shadow can hit the moon during this "new" phase as the Moon is between us and the sun...yep, that means somewhere there is an eclipse possible....

Beam Me Up said...

I so wish Kall you would get a mic and record these rants!!! this IS GREAT!!! I love having good science guys on board! Thanks for the post...I am so tempted to record it for addition to the program.

kallamis said...

yeah, i just posted a bit of it and left it at that. I should have rephrased it, but was off on a run. I was going to go back and change that but totally spaced it out. Thanks for catching that man.

kallamis said...

Of course it would also help if I slept more than 3 hours a day. Frankly it's amazing I can even see the keyboard right now at all. And again, thanks for catching that. That was like saying I am making jello, when I am making pudding. I really need some sleep.
I'll get back and fix that later. Honestly I can barely even type or read anymore right now. So consider his in place of my wrong explanation. How i got on an eclipse instead of the new moon is beyond me right now. Of course, 3 digit addition is basically beyond me right now.
Again, thanks for catching that. I even re-read it and still missed my own ignorance there, and I freaking know better.

kallamis said...

Let me fix my ignorance first before you radio show it. I'll get to that tomorrow. I'm off at last to try sleep again, I hope. I hate freaking insomnia.

Beam Me Up said...

no problem Kall...whenever you think it is fit to read. Which I think it is now...Tune it up and I will tune it in! lol

kallamis said...

Okay, just realized I forgot something else here.
Shoemaker. A crater at the south pole. It's interior is perpetually shrouded in darkness.
At least I finally got some sleep. Like 16 hours of sleep. Wonderful, now no sleep tonight. Oh well, back to being the night guy I guess. Like it better anyway.

Beam Me Up said...

Ok, wow, like me, it is midnight and I am just getting up a head of steam! Anyway I don't see that making a great deal of difference, I am all for using it as it is now.